Keeping the City of Brockton Clean
The city contracts with Republic Services for trash and recycling collection. If you experience a missed pick-up, please contact the company directly at 508-536-6998.
The Refuse section is charged with supervising the city’s contract for trash collection and with picking up illegal dumping from all roads and sidewalks within the city and on city-owned property. The division also hosts Keep Brockton Beautiful day, an annual neighborhood clean-up, and runs the Summer Jobs Program, a part-time employment program for Brockton youth.
The Refuse Section operates the Brockton Recycle Depot located at 300 Oak Hill Way. In addition to recyclable materials, the Depot accepts hard-to-manage and hazardous waste such as automotive fluids, mercury products, and pool and cleaning products, as well as items not collected in curbside trash such as tires, propane tanks, and car batteries. See the Recycle Depot Pamphlet for the full list of accepted items. The Depot is open year-round Monday-Saturday, 8:30am – 3:00pm.
Brockton Recycle Depot Clothing Donation Bins
All textiles, including clothing, shoes, belts, purses, linens, stuffed animals, and fabric scraps, can be donated for reuse and recycling at the Brockton Recycle Depot. We have Clothing Donation Bins for Salvation Army, Big Brother Big Sister, St. Vincent du Paul and Red Cross on our site at 300 Oak Hill Way.
It's OK if items are torn, stained, broken or missing something. Wearable clothing is used by people worldwide. Damaged clothing is recycled into rags and everything else is turned back into fibers to make paper, yarn, insulation, carpet padding, and sound proofing.
Leaves, grass, plants, twigs, and tree and shrub prunings not more than 4 inches wide and 4 feet long are considered yard waste. You do not need to phone ahead or fill out the online form to have yard waste picked up.
YARD WASTE COLLECTION
Weekly yard waste collection will begin on Monday October 5.
For collection by the City of Brockton or its contractor, yard waste shall be in properly identified reusable yard waste containers of not greater than thirty-two (32) gallons or Kraft paper bags or tied bundles of brush and limbs of not more than thirty-five (35) pounds in weight. Yard waste in plastic bags will not be collected. (City Ordinance Section 8-3.2(c))
Due to limited staffing, yard waste collection may fall behind. Please leave curbside - DO NOT BRING BACK IN - and it will be collected as soon as possible. The Recycle Depot at 300 Oak Hill Way accepts yard waste prepared to city curbside guidelines for drop off, year round, Monday thru Saturday 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. No landscapers or contractors - Brockton Residents only.
To report a non-emergency trash or recycling-related problem or an episode of illegal dumping, please use our online reporting system.
Trash & Recycling Guidelines
The City of Brockton is a Save Money and Reduce Trash (SMART) Community. Please note that recycling is the law (310 CMR 19.017), and it’s easy! Recycle carts are available for $55.00 at the Recycle Depot, 300 Oak Hill Way, Brockton (across from UPS). Hours: Monday – Saturday, 8:30am – 3:00pm. The $55.00 fee must be Cash or check payable to "City of Brockton" or can be ordered online here
For a printable version of these guidelines, click here.
- Recycle paper waste, cardboard, glass, plastic, and metal containers according to recycling guidelines. Do not put these items in the trash.
- Residents of single, two, three, four, or five‐family homes paying a trash fee are entitled to pick‐up of one barrel of trash per family (one for single‐family home, two for two‐family home, etc.), not to exceed 50 lbs., each week.
- Put your trash barrel curbside before 7am on your scheduled trash collection day or after 5pm the night before.
Trash put out before 5pm on the day before your scheduled collection may result in a fine.
Take in your barrel and any rejected bags or items by 11pm on your scheduled collection day. Failure to take in your barrel or rejected trash may also result in a fine.
- All bags must fit within the barrel. Bags that exceed the top of the barrel may not be collected.
- Unlimited additional trash may be put out in green “Brockton” bags. These bags can be purchased at local retailers, including supermarkets and drug stores, or at City Hall or the Recycle Depot at a cost of $5 for a roll of four bags or can be purchased online here.
- See separate instructions for bulk items and yard waste.
- Service provided to residents of single through five family units who pay trash fee.
- Condominiums and Businesses do not receive City trash service.
- Holiday Schedule: Closed on actual day of holiday and delayed one day for all remaining weekdays during the week of the holiday.
Friday collected on Saturday.
Street not listed? Contact DPW Refuse Department @ 508-580-7827
Hard‐to‐Manage and Hazardous Waste
- Please do not place any hazardous waste or chemicals in your trash. For your convenience, the Recycle Depot accepts hard‐to‐manage waste such as antifreeze, mercury‐containing items, tires, car batteries, propane tanks, etc. See our list of accepted items. You may pre-pay online for your items here. The Depot also hosts a Hazardous Waste Day each year in September.
- Empty or dried‐out paint cans may be put in the trash with the lids removed. Liquid paint is accepted daily at the Recycle Depot April 1—October 31 (annual limit applies).
- Rinse plastic, glass, and metal containers and place them in loose in your recycle cart, NOT in plastic bags. Wipe out oily containers.
- Place all items in the same recycle cart. There is no need to remove staples, paper clips, spirals, or plastic windows in envelopes.
- Flatten large pieces of cardboard and boxes, cut them into 2’ x 2’ pieces, and place them in your recycle cart or bring them to the Recycle Depot.
- Place recycle carts curbside before 7am on your scheduled trash collection day or after 5pm the night before. Take in your recycle carts and any rejected items by 11pm on trash day.
- You may also bring your recyclables to the Recycle Depot. You must present proof of residency if requested.
- Cardboard, paperboard (cereal and tissue boxes, etc.), magazines and newspapers (including glossy pages), phone books, paper junk mail, soft cover books, all office paper (no blueprints)
- Pies plates, trays, foil, metal cans (tin, steel, or aluminum)
- Glass containers and bottles (any color)
- Stiff plastic containers and plastic bottles (#1‐5 and #7)
- Plastic bags (plastic grocery bags can be recycled at most supermarkets)
- Foam packaging, including packing peanuts
- Broken glass
- Window glass
- Clothes hangers
- Dishes or glasses (consider donating if in good condition)
- Light bulbs
- Toys (consider donating if in good condition)
- Clothing (consider donating if in good condition or bring to the Recycle Depot)
- Paper take‐out containers
- Hard cover books (consider donating if in good condition or bring to the Recycle Depot)
- Foam Egg cartons
Pick-Up Submission Form
Couches, mattresses, box springs, TV's and Computer monitors require a $20.00 disposal fee be paid at least 48 hours prior to your next trash collection day in order to schedule pick up.
To pay fee by credit or debit card: Please select and pay online here.
To pay by cash or check: Please visit the Brockton Recycle Depot, 300 Oak Hill Way (across from UPS) Monday thru Saturday 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Special Item Pickups are available to Residents who participate in the Brockton Residential
Trash Program. Businesses and Residents with private trash & dumpster service must make arrangements with their hauler for pickup.
Search Trash & Recycling Schedule
Trash & recycling pickup service is provided to residents of single- through five-family units who pay trash fee.
Condominiums and Businesses do not receive City trash service.
Holiday Schedule: the day of the holiday and all remaining weekdays are delayed one day. Friday collected on Saturday.
Street not listed? Contact the DPW Refuse Department at 508-580-7827.
- Enter your street name and click the Search button.
- If you're not sure of the spelling, just enter the first few letters of the street.