Records Access Officer
EMERGENCY – 911
Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BrocktonFireandLifeSafety
Follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/@Brockton_Fire
Employment as a Firefighter
Do you have a calling to become a firefighter? Learn how true heroes become Massachusetts firefighters here.
Selection and Hiring Process
- You must take and pass an examination. The examination consists of two components: the written examination and the Entry-Level Physical Abilities Test (ELPAT). Candidates must take and pass both components in order to be placed on the eligible list for appointment as a Firefighter. This examination is conducted by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The next written exam is expected to be held in April of 2020.
- You must be at least age 19 as of the last date to apply for the open competitive
Applicants who pass the written test AND receive a conditional offer of employment from a municipality will be instructed on how to apply for the Physical Abilities Test and other screening processes:
- Medical Examination: Candidates must pass a medical examination before they will be allowed to take the Physical Abilities Test. Some municipalities may also require candidates to pass a psychological evaluation before they are appointed.
- Physical Abilities Test (PAT): This will test aerobic capacity and physical capability necessary to perform tasks such as: dragging a person, raising a ladder, gaining forcible entry using a sledgehammer, advancing a fire hose, tearing open a ceiling or wall using
a plaster hook, carrying equipment upstairs, and crawling through a darkened enclosed
area to search for victims.
- Character: A candidate may be disqualified for evidence of character clearly unsuited for fire services. Most municipalities conduct a comprehensive background check prior to an interview.
- Job Interview: A municipality may conduct an oral interview prior to appointment.
- Driver’s License: Most municipalities require you to possess a valid Massachusetts motor vehicle operator’s license prior to appointment.
- Smoking Prohibited: Firefighters hired from the eligible list resulting from this examination are prohibited from smoking tobacco products at the time of and after appointment, pursuant to Chapter 41, section 101A, of the Massachusetts General Laws.
Becoming a Firefighter in Massachusetts
Click here to download or print this information